About Me

My photo
I have created two blogs to share my passion of food and fashion with you. The idea is not to give you accurate recipes or tell you what to wear but to share my day to day cooking and shopping experiences with you. I hope you will get new ideas from my blog and that you will share your experiences with me. I have always been creative with everything in my life be it food, clothes or career. I like trying new things,and I am always up for trying things once in my life.

Sunday 3 October 2010

Mixed Veg Pakoras

 
Now there is nothing better than delicious crispy pakoras with lots of lime and mint chutney and a nice cup of tea. On Saturday I got all the vegetables that were left in the refrigerator out and made these delicious pakoras.


I had 2 boiled potatoes, 3 red onion, half a cabbage and 6 mushrooms.
2 cups of gram flour ( called besan in hindi) - this is what makes the delicious batter
2 table spoon of semolina
lots of chopped corriander
1 tsp of whole cumin seeds
1 tsp of mustard powder
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of tumeric
salt to taste
1/2 cup of water
deep frying oil
chat masala to finish them off ( easily available in all supermarkets)

Mix all the ingredients - it should form a nice thick sticky consistency
Use a large pan and fill it with 3-4 inches of oil enough to deep fry
Make sure the oil is really hot and then add 4-5 pakoras at a time and cook it on a low-medium flame for 5-6 minutes turning them over once to let it cook evenly.

Once cooked place them on a paper kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil- sprinkle some chat masala and squeeze plenty of lemon juice and serve along with some mint chutney and hot tea!!

9 comments:

  1. Yumm! i dont bother to grab some..

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look amazing. How hot should the oil be? I always seem to put the mixture in too soon and it just goes soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Conville, New York4 October 2010 at 08:12

    They look really nice. Why do you put semolina in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. can i have some please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful combination of veggies ...love the addition of mushrooms to it ...it must taste delicious ...

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. jd-it is important that the oil is really hot before you add the pakoras.
    Mary - Semolina adds the extra crunch and crispness
    John - anytime
    Satya - Yes the mushroom tasted delicious I use anything and everything even cucumber and aubergine you should try it some time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crispy and would like it to grab from the late
    http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete