About Me

My photo
I have created two blogs to share my passion of food and fashion with you. The idea is not to give you accurate recipes or tell you what to wear but to share my day to day cooking and shopping experiences with you. I hope you will get new ideas from my blog and that you will share your experiences with me. I have always been creative with everything in my life be it food, clothes or career. I like trying new things,and I am always up for trying things once in my life.

Friday 4 February 2011

Goan Vindaloo

One of my favourite potato recipe!!
Ingredients
1 kg. diced potatoes
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp. cardamom seeds
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
12 nos. whole cloves
1tbsp. chilli powder
4 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
2 tsp. ginger, fresh, minced
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. mustard powder
2 tsp. turmeric powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 cup vinegar, or cooking wine
4-6 tblsp vegetable oil
2 onions medium chopped
4 bay leaves
300 ml. water
Method
Gently roast the dry spices from coriander seeds through to cumin seeds for about 5 minutes in a fry-pan on low heat.
Put these roasted spices in a  blender along with  mustard, turmeric, salt, garlic and the vinegar to form vindaloo sauce. Add little water if necessary.
Marinate the potatoes in this vindaloo sauce for in a non-metallic bowl.
Heat oil and saute bay leaves and onions until soft.  Remove and set aside.
Now fry the marinated potatoes for a few minutes, adding more oil if necessary
Add the remaining vindaloo sauce, sauted onion, and water.
Simmer till the potatoes are tender (stirring well) and the curry is thick. Add salt and chilli to suit your taste if necessary. 
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steamed Basmati rice. 

27 comments:

  1. Wow!! itself Sounds tasty... got to try it out !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurp fingerlicking dish,truly inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love goan currries to & this recipe looks like something we would enjoy anytime..;)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets better everytime - love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow love it and sooo do my friends ...we normally order chicken....but wud be interesting to substitute with potato

    ReplyDelete