About Me

My photo
I have created two blogs to share my passion of food and fashion with you. The idea is not to give you accurate recipes or tell you what to wear but to share my day to day cooking and shopping experiences with you. I hope you will get new ideas from my blog and that you will share your experiences with me. I have always been creative with everything in my life be it food, clothes or career. I like trying new things,and I am always up for trying things once in my life.

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Potato Rosti

POTATOES - I love them and am sure most of you do as well -  This recipe is from a Italian friend of mine - I have tried it a lot if times as was only satisfied with it yesterday. So i guess now I safely say I have mastered it. There are many ways to rosti a potato – purists would have you boil them first and leave to rest overnight before peeling and grating; others would urge you to add egg or flour to bind the mixture.
 
Ingredients
  • starchy potatoes – 1 kg
  • butter – 100g
  • s & p
  • sauted onions and chopped corriander
Coarsely grate the potatoes and place in the centre of a (preferably clean) tea towel.
Bring together the corners of the tea towel and twist as tightly as you can to remove all the water possible. Repeat this squeezing with a second dry tea towel.
Place in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
(At this stage you could add grated onion and/or fresh herbs)
Now to the most important decision – whether to make one big fat rosti, or several smaller, thinner ones.
Melt some of the butter in a large heavy frying pan and once the buttery foam has subsided spoon in the potato to form several cakes – use those fancy metal rings if you are feeling chefy. Compact each rosti with the back of a spatula.
Cook on a lowish heat for 7-10 minutes or until the underside is golden brown and crispy. Flip over (add more butter if necessary) and repeat for a further 7-10 minutes.
Serve with what ever takes your fancy.
If making one big fat rosti use a 9 inch diameter pan and cook for a bit longer.
I had mine with a spicy tomato chutney and a green spinach salad !!
Ayush Kejriwal

21 comments:

  1. Looking perfectly crisp and hearty ...
    An oven roasted rosti is a favorite at my place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome..surely going to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks awesome...i wanna eat it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irresistible rosti,truly inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks perfect & simply delicious Ayush..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. treatment for severe hepatic steatosis treatment for severe hepatic steatosis treatment for severe hepatic steatosis

    my webpage ... fatty liver disease alcoholic symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring together the corners of the tea towel and twist as tightly as you can to remove all the water possible. Repeat this squeezing with a second dry tea towel.
    wholesale stitched salwar kameez ,
    salwar suit piece wholesale ,

    ReplyDelete