About Me

My photo
I have created two blogs to share my passion of food and fashion with you. The idea is not to give you accurate recipes or tell you what to wear but to share my day to day cooking and shopping experiences with you. I hope you will get new ideas from my blog and that you will share your experiences with me. I have always been creative with everything in my life be it food, clothes or career. I like trying new things,and I am always up for trying things once in my life.

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Baigan Bharta ( Roasted Egg plant and potato mash) - Spicy!!

Eggplant / Aubergine is one of my favourite vegetables. I know many of you will raise and eyebrow but how can you not love this beautiful purple balloon. Cook the aubergine like I explain below and I promise you -will fall in love with it. Smoky, tangy, spicy and absolutely delicious served with rice, or as a dip with some corn chips or as a filling in a pita bread.

2 medium size aubergine
1 large onion finely chopped
4-5 boiled potatoes - mashed
1 large tomatoes chopped
4 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
big chunk of ginger finely chopped
1 green chilli split in half
lots of freshly chopped coriander
2 table spoon of oil
1 tsp of cumin seeds
salt and pepper
2tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp of garam masala
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of mango powder  ( it is also called amchur )
Freshly squeezed juice from a lime
1 tsp of tamarind paste - not essential but does bring out the flavour
 
Method:
 
Cut the aubergines into halves and roast in a hot over for 40-45 mins after smothering it with oil and some salt.
Once the aubergine is ready peel away the black smoked skin and scoop out the cooked flesh, use some of the charred skin as it adds a nice smoky flavour.
In a large pan, put the oil add the cumin seeds followed by the green chillies, ginger , onion and garlic. Saute until brown and add in all the spices and cook for 10 mis or so.
Now add the tomatoes and cook the masala for 10-15 minutes until the oil starts appearing at the sides of the pan ( it is important that you be patient for the macula to be ready as this is what gives this dish its smoky spicy flavour.
 
Once the masala is cooked add the boiled potatoes and the cooked flesh from the roasted aubergine and mash it all up together mixing rigorously disintegrating everything into a pulp like consistency. now add the tamarind paste and the lemon juice. Mix it all up and garnish it with lots of freshly chopped corriander.

7 comments:

  1. Baigan ka bharta really lookin good....will try it...u r having a nice space here ayush and recipes with variety...keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really perfect and luv it anytime. Keep rocking
    http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where would I get Mango powder? Can this be substituted with anything else?
    Looks really good though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mango Powder is not essential - but if you want you can buy it in any indian shop it is called amchur and is available everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice stuff .. tried the Baingan Bharta.. had a bad urge to eat some good stuff -- desi good stuff. :) Thanks Ayush !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am glad you enjoyed it - who is this ? :-)))

    ReplyDelete