About Me

My photo
I have created two blogs to share my passion of food and fashion with you. The idea is not to give you accurate recipes or tell you what to wear but to share my day to day cooking and shopping experiences with you. I hope you will get new ideas from my blog and that you will share your experiences with me. I have always been creative with everything in my life be it food, clothes or career. I like trying new things,and I am always up for trying things once in my life.

Monday 20 September 2010

Caribbean peas and rice

I am not a big fan of Monday :-) so to cheer myself I am going to make this delicious Caribbean peas and rice and eat it with a delicious home made tomato chutney. I tasted this dish in Swindon - in a community fair - I was brave enough to ask the women for the recipe and she was nice enough to give it to me. I have made it several times since then but not in a while so it will be good to make it again this evening.

You need:

3 cups cooked rice (cold leftover rice is OK - it will have to be as I have it ready in my fridge from yesterday!!)
3/4 cups of coconut milk
A couple shakes of dried thyme, or three or four fresh sprigs
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt to taste
1/2 cup red kidney beans, canned are OK


Heat a good pan over medium heat and add about a spoonful of vegetable oil. When hot, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
Immediately add the coconut milk, the thyme and the kidney beans, along with a couple of pinches of salt, and bring to a boil.
Boil for a couple of minutes, until the coconut milk has reduced by more than half.
Add in the rice, and mash it around until it uniformly absorbs the coconut milk.
Add salt to taste.
Serve with some tomato chutney or a tangy salad with lots of coriander.
That's it. If you have some leftover rice on hand, this can be made in about 5 minutes...and it is really good. Can't wait to go home and make it.

1 comment: