About Me

My photo
I have created two blogs to share my passion of food and fashion with you. The idea is not to give you accurate recipes or tell you what to wear but to share my day to day cooking and shopping experiences with you. I hope you will get new ideas from my blog and that you will share your experiences with me. I have always been creative with everything in my life be it food, clothes or career. I like trying new things,and I am always up for trying things once in my life.

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Aubergine Pesto ( Vegetarian)


What a horrible day it has been today in Glasgow, rain, rain, rain and more rain. This week seems to be going really slowly. As I have said before I love pesto and pasta so last night I made grilled aubergine pesto and had it with spagetthi and lots of parmasane cheese. If you you’ve got a food processor, making your own pesto is a doddle; the quantities for each of those recipes will fill a jam jar and keep in the fridge for about a week. And this is vegetarian as well!!
75 g Mixed Nuts and Seeds
1 small Aubergine
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Sprig of Rosemary
½ Packet of Fresh Mint
25 g Grated Parmesan
1 tbsp Tomato Purée
Black Pepper
120 ml Olive Oil
Cut the aubergine into fairly thick slices and soak in a bowl of very salty water for about 20 minutes, then drain, rinse well and dry with kitchen paper.
Heat half the quantity of oil in a large frying pan and preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6 (200c).

Fry half the aubergine slices in the hot oil for a few minutes, turning once, then transfer to a small roasting tin. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the rest of the aubergine, again transferring the cooked aubergine to the roasting tin.

Snip the rosemary up and sprinkle over the aubergine then add the crushed garlic to the roasting tin and put itin the oven for 20-25 minutes until the aubergines are completely soft and cooked through. All the oil that was soaked up during frying should now be swimming around in the tin.

Remove the tin from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes while you get the rest of the ingredients ready then put the aubergines and all the oil into a blender or food processor with everything else and blend or pulse to make a coarse paste, scraping the pesto down from the sides every few seconds.

Pack the pesto into a clean jar and pour another 2 tsp of olive oil on top.

Store in the fridge for a week.

6 comments:

  1. This is quite nice but left out the mint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you post some authentic indian recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you not like mint, did you replace it with something else?
    I will put up some indian recipes during the weekend am planning to make some onion bhajis and palak paneer this weekend so watch this space!! Thanks for your comments :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I don't like mint at all. I didn't replace it with anything and it seems fine.

    ReplyDelete